Municipal elections happen every year in April all over Boone County. These seats include city councils, school boards and other non-partisan elected officials. Filing for these seats usually open in late October to early November, and close in late December or January. Please reach out to your municipality or school district to learn what seats or how many seats are open.
In 2023, openings include:
- Columbia City Wards 1 and 5 Councilpersons; learn how to be eligible to run for the office
- Columbia Public Schools Board of Education (three positions available); more information at this link
- Ashland City Council Wards 1, 2 and 3 have one council position for each ward; more information here (PDF)
Are you thinking about running for office in Boone County on the Republican ticket in 2024? We would like to hear from you! The Republican Central Committee is actively recruiting potential candidates for county-level and other offices.
Offices up for election will include:
- Northern District Boone County Commissioner
- Southern District Boone County Commissioner
- Boone County Treasurer
- Boone County Assessor
- Boone County Sheriff
- Boone County Administrator
- 19th State Senate District (open)
- 44th State Representative District (open)
- 45th State Representative District
- 46th State Representative District
- 47th State Representative District
- 50th State Representative District
You should gather information, form a committee, learn how to be a candidate, and learn what it will take to win the election well before filing begins in early 2024. We encourage you to attend county Republican meetings to network and find free and low-cost resources on being a candidate, like from the Leadership Institute.
Local policies, taxes, and ordinances usually start with some sort of recommendation from an official city board or commission. It is very important to be involved with your local government, and to participate in these boards and commissions. For more information on boards and commissions for various governments in Boone County, please click the following links: